I started doing my research with Jillian and her website and twitter and ended up finding her presentation that she did at #nErDcampMI (link here) and I became inspired! I am going to do the #bookaday challenge this year in my sixth grade room!
I am going to post the book each day on my markerboard and then after we have read the book, I am going to add it to the wall that will have all the books that we have read for the WHOLE YEAR! Imagine how much reading my kiddos will hear? Imagine how many literacy ideas I can teach them just through picture books! I AM SO EXCITED AND I CAN'T WAIT TO START!
I currently have 175 student days so I am going to set my board up for that!
Here are some freebies so that you don't have to create them too!!
Picture Book a Day Hashtag
Picture Book Wall Display Dates
Picture Book Wall Display Title
Some of the books I plan on reading to my kids at the beginning of the year:
- A Perfectly Messed-Up Story by Patrick McDonnell
- My Teacher is a Monster! by Peter Brown
- This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
- Sam & Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to School by Davide Cali
- The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roach
- I Didn't Do My Homework Because... by Davide Cali
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
- The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat
- Bot + Bot by Ame Dyckman
- Ninja! by Arree Chung
- Picture Day Perfection by Deborah Diesen
- What do you do with an Idea? by Kobi Yamada
- Little Red Writing by Joan Holub
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
Steps to Picture Book Success (And don't think I have all the answers--I haven't even tried it yet!)
1. Choose Picture Books you would like to read! (Jillian Heise presentation has great ideas)
2. Decorate your picture book wall!
3. Make a student version so the students can keep track of their favorites! E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like my copy!
4. READ!!! :)
Follow my instagram at snapshotsofsixthgrade to see our #picturebookaday so you can continue to get ideas and feedback!